[meteorite-list] Denmark meteorite fall

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

It is amazing sitting here in West, getting ready to hunt for the day, and thinking about another meteorite fall in Europe. Denmark is not a good place for meteorites, or hunting for them. And for those from the states thinking of going, it is also an extremely expensive country. I would base on my Norway hunt, that you budget at least $500 per day perhaps more due to weak $ on top of plane ticket. A hunt there would cost many thousands of $$$.

Now, as we proved in West, a large group of experienced meteorite hunters could rapidly expand the strewn field and recover hundreds of stones, and surely there are hundreds of stones in this Denmark fall. However, the insidious laws regarding meteorites there will likely mean that one or two people might hunt, a stone or two might be found, and 99% will be lost foever. This seams to be a CM2, something extraordinary and should be recovered. Another easy to see flaw in these meteorite laws. Perhaps the people who wrote them will be slogging it out in the rain? I seriously doubt we will see that.
Michael Farmer