[meteorite-list] West meteorite, 1.5 kilo mass.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:35:13 -0700 (PDT)

Like a nightmare, or Groundhog day, I have been sucked back to West, Texas again for the third time. I was home for all of a day again, and got news that a 1.5 kilogram meteorite was available to purchase. I rushed back to Texas this morning, met the seller at a gas station, and paid for a large complete meteorite, found the day of the fall. The seller wanted extreme anonymity, refused to tell where it was found other than "near Aquilla" and took the cash. He gave me little to go on other than he wanted no part of this meteorite fall or to assist me in the science by showing find location, he just wanted paid. I gave him the cash and he sped away happy.

I smiled all the way to the Waco Tribune Herald, where I spent an hour with Ken Surry, going over the maps, and working on a new article, hopefully to be published Sunday or Monday. I am showing a basic strewn field map to be in the paper, trying to spur these people to action to look for more stones. 60% of the houses we went to in the Aquilla area are inhabited by people who do not believe in the meteorite, refuse to believe that any is on their land, and have no interest in looking for it or letting anyone else look on their land. Perhaps the photos in the paper and the prospect of large payments will make them get excited and look for pieces. Hopefully the article will focus on the fact that money fell from the sky and is wasting away.

Photo will be up on Rocks from Space pic of the day soon.

Michael Farmer