[meteorite-list] Some West totals and estimates

From: teddy applebaum <tiapplebaum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:47:57 -0500

Hi list,

I spent a little time scouring the web for West totals and came up
with the following numbers. Numbers in parentheses are individual
stone weights when known.

Rob Wesel: 9 stones, total: 255 g
Ruben Garcia: 15 stones? total: unknown (12.6g)
Patrick Thompson: 15 stones total: unknown
Mike Bandli: 6 stones, total: 53.715g
Micheal Cottingham: 18 stones, total: 286g
Micheal Farmer: 23 stones, total: 531.6
Greg Hupe: at least 1 stone, total: unknown (50g)
Eric Wichman: 1 stone, total: 6.7 grams
Jim Baxter 5.9g: from mike farmer
Robert Woolard: and son 7 stones, total: 407 grams
James Phillips: 4 stones, total: 36.3
Geoff Notkin: at least 13 stones, total: unknown (18.8g)
Mike Miller: at least 1 stone, total: unknown (212g)
Del Waterbury: 5 stones totaling: 75.3g (8g, 5,6g, 5.2g, 5.5g, 51g,)
Mike Morgan: 1 stone total: 13g

Totals: 79 stones with known weights = 1963.915g + at least 42 other
known stones lacking weights + unknown numbers from these hunters:

Jason Phillips
Jim Schade
Sonny Clary
John Sinclair
Steve Arnold
Shauna Russel
Robert Ward

So far we can be sure that nearly 2 kilos of West have been founf, and
presume that:

The 79 stones with known weights = 1963.915g, which averages out to
24.85g per stone.

At that rate the 42 stones with unknown weights would add another 1042.7g

So my minimum estimate of the West total is 3 kilos, and I?m willing
to bet that 3.5-4 kilos have been found (based on all the hunters with
unreported stone and weight totals) which is somewhat higher then what
most people have been estimating.

Hope this helps ? Teddy A