[meteorite-list] Parry Sound, Ontario meteor 5MAR08 any updates on meteorite recovery?

From: ensoramanda at ntlworld.com <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 1:07:44 +0000

Hi Michael,

I have a small meteorite fragment from a fall in 2003 that was found within yards of a beach just weeks after. It had already deteriorated very badly because of the salty wet atmosphere. Pieces from further inland showed hardly any weathering...so I suspect that any meteorite containing nickel/iron (and most do) would not last long in salt water unless it was very large, and then it would also be less likely to be washed up. I think micro meteorite samples have however been recovered from sea sediments....but they are not likely to have iron in I suspect.

The regular meteor showers such as the Leonids have never had any confirmed/associated meteorites attached to them as far as I know as they are from dust trails we pass through (too small to survive). Many people have tried to look at the frequency of these showers and link them with meteorites with no definite success.

Hope that helps...I do not know of any meteorite that has been recorded being washed up on the beach...anybody else on the list know?

Graham Ensor, UK