[meteorite-list] A word about West...

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:50:05 -0700

Hello All,

Someone brought something to my attention- They think I am flooding
the market with West Material! Give me a break. If you count the GRAM
weight of what is being offered and NOT the amount of specimens you
might understand that there will NEVER be any flooding of West
material by anyone. There is NOT and will NEVER be enough. If you
count the number of specimens that have been offered and add up the
weight you will be shocked as to how little has been offered for sale.

My son and I left with something like 280 grams, we were one of the
more successful of the West hunters. I am only selling ~100 grams. I
have offered many part slices and they are small, small so that the
many folks who want a specimen will be able to get a specimen.

Have you all seen the videos showing the immense grassy fields and
have you noticed that there has been over 30 people hunting full time
for the last 2 weeks and there is only ~3.5 kilos recovered. Hundreds
and Hundreds of hours have been spent searching with Hundreds and
Hundreds of miles that have been walked and with what I have
calculated about 500 grams have been sold. (Of course this is an
estimate of sold material, because I don't know everyone's business).

Think about this- an experienced meteorite hunter, one who has
travelled all over the world, one who is used to finding meteorites-he
can walk days without finding one in West! However, when he does it
will be about 10 grams on the average.

Flooding the market - I think not. Providing many small and affordable
part slices to my customers- of course.

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham