[meteorite-list] Ad for Patrick Thompson's meteorites from West, Texas

From: edwinthompson at comcast.net <edwinthompson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:09:35 +0000 (UTC)

Hello list members,
Patrick arrived home last night from 8 days in Texas. He had a great time and found fifteen small stones that were drifting around in Outer Space less than two weeks ago! Although he has hunted new potential strewn fields since 1987, most recently the event over Elgin, Oregon that fell at almost the same time last year, this was his first successful hunt. I'd like to thank all of the guys he hunted with for being a great group of mentors and showing good sportsmanship and ethics in the field.
Patrick is not a collector but there is no doubt he will keep the first stone he found on this expedition. We were all up late last night listening to his stories of the trip. Sure wish I could have been there.
He is off today spending time with his girlfriend and goes back to his other job tomorrow.
So I am helping him sell the last of his stones.
He has four left. He is keeping the first stone he found and I think one other. He is donating two stones for research and the others were sold before he left to return home.

The weights on these four specimens are: 6.95 grams, 14.3, 15.2 and 20.4 grams. All have a broken surface displaying the interior matrix and they all appear to have broken in flight. So the other half is out there somewhere most likely found by another hunter. We may slice the 20.4 gram specimen to display the wonderful breccia. The other three display breccia and shock veins. The 14.3 gram stone and the 20.4 gram stones are any scientists dream come true. The 15.2 gram stone has an amazing display of the brecciated matrix and this is the 'bird turd meteorite'. Patrick called me on Friday morning from the field. He had just found another meteorite and he was excited about sharing the story with me. He was walking through a grassy area when something caught his eye. It was a stone buried in the dirt and grass but it had a splat of white bird poop on it and it didn't look at all like the meteorites he had been finding all week. Still he bent down to see what it was and when he pulled it out of the soil it w
as a gorgeous, fresh, black,crusted half stone with bird poop covering part of the crust and a large surface area showing the breccia inside. When he told me over the phone I could see in my mind the picture from years ago of the SNC somebody found in the Sahara with a surveyors magnet sitting on it from many years earlier. So here it is folks and the bird poop is free!

These stones are available for best offer until 9pm tonight. Email me off list at etmeteorites at hotmail.com or edwinthompson at comcast.net with your offer.

If you would like to talk to Patrick about the stones or the experience or to ask him about the pictures and documentation that come with each stone you can call him at 503-807-2678 or email him at: PST123 at hotmail.com

Thanks very much, E.T.