[meteorite-list] Tunguska Blast a water rich comet: Holocene age clusters of similar craters in New Mexico, east of Las Vegas and southeast of Estancia: Rich Murray 2009.06.25

From: Rich Murray <rmforall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:50:15 -0600

Re: [meteorite-list]Tunguska Blast a water rich comet: clusters of similar
craters, very like Carolina Bays, in New Mexico, east of Las Vegas and
southeast of Estancia: Rich Murray 2009.06.25

About 8 miles SE of Las Vegas, NM, via Google Maps and Google Earth, note
McAllister Lake, Crane Lake, and others with white deposits, by road 201, S
of SR 104, part of a Federal bird park.

Also, 20 miles E along State Road 104, then NE 1 mile on CR C 53A, to note a
NS crater about a mile long, with a about 100 m shallow white rock road
quarry at the S end right at the N edge of the road, with no fences or
livestock or No Trespassing signs -- it is easy to walk along the west edge
on the red sandstone bedrock and find that the layers are progressively
cracked and blasted over as refrigerator size chunks, with apparent dark
high temperature glazing, beside the shallow central depression. There are
rocks and chunks of the red sandstone up to 1 m size lying about in the
fields for miles, as well as many more similar features in the area.

SE of Albuquerque, just SE of Estancia, mostly N of 60 and the railroad, and
crossing it, is a NS cluster of shallow craters with white minerals,
Laguna Del Perro, and similar craters within 10-20 miles, long interpreted
as late Pleistocene wind erosion features -- intermittent playa lakes.

These features seem very similar to the million or so Carolina Bays, from
Maryland to Louisiana, for which a recent paper by experts claims evidence
to be from a huge ice dominant comet that fragmented high over Southern
Canada in 12,900 BP, causing the demise of Clovis culture and of large
mammels.

I would like help in getting my rock samples from New Mexico features
analyzed.

Rich Murray
1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505 505-501-2298 rmforall at comcast.net

See Wikipedia.com for "Clovis comet" and "Carolina Bays".

http://georgehoward.net/cbays.htm many excellent links

http://restorationsystems.com/contact/
George A. Howard, Executive VP/Project Manager
Restoration Systems, LLC
1101 Haynes Street, Suite 211
Raleigh, North Carolina 27604
tel 919-755-9490 fax 919-755-9492

3150 N. Elm Street, Suite 206
Greensboro, North Carolina 27408
tel 336-272-7190 fax 336-286-5250

http://restorationsystems.com/who/blog.asp

Metro Magazine 2009 January
posted by Bryan on 2/18/2009
Journeys with George: Did A Comet Cause The Carolina Bays?
By Liza Roberts

http://www.georgehoward.net/metro.pdf 5 p many color photos

www.agu.org/ American Geophysical Union 2007.05.22-5, Acapulco, MX,
Joint Assembly, Supplement

11:35h
AN: PP42A-05
TI: Evidence for an Extraterrestrial Impact Origin of the Carolina Bays on
the Atlantic Coast of North America
AU: * Howard, G A
EM: george at restorationsystems.com
AF: Restoration Systems, L.L.C., 1101 Haynes Street Suite 107, Raleigh, NC
27604, United States
AU: West, A
EM: allen7633 at aol.com
AF: GeoScience Consulting, P.O.Box 1636, Dewey, AZ 86327, United States
AU: Firestone, R B
AF: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Rd., Berkeley, CA
94710, United States
AU: Kennett, J P
EM: kennett at geol.ucsb.edu
AF: Univ. of California, Santa Barbara, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Santa
Barbara, CA 93106, United States
AU: Kimbel, D
AF: Restoration Systems, L.L.C., 1101 Haynes Street Suite 107, Raleigh, NC
27604, United States
AU: Newell, W
AU: Kobres, R
AF: Univ. of Georgia Libraries, Univ. of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, United
States

http://picasaweb.google.com/Swampmerchant/LIDARElevationImagesOfBays#5293889901367112994

image #1 of 34 LIDAR jpg color images of Carolina Bay elevation terrain
data 2009.01.21

http://picasaweb.google.com/Swampmerchant/LIDARElevationImagesOfBays#5277819822906998290

image # 2 gives clear elevation color code and length scale: many Carolina
Bays are about 0.05 - 1.3 miles long

http://picasaweb.google.com/Swampmerchant/CarolinaBaysJanuary182005#

165 fine aerial color photos of Carolina Bays 2005.01.18

http://picasaweb.google.com/Swampmerchant/TheYoungerDryasInDataAndPhotographs#

37 excellent color photos, maps, and charts

http://georgehoward.net/Vance%20Haynes%27%20Black%20Mat.htm

http://georgehoward.net/Haynes%20(2008)_PNAS_YD.pdf 6 p

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/18/65

www.pnas.org/content/105/18/6520/suppl/DC1 Supporting Information 18 p