[meteorite-list] Getting rust off membranebox polyurethane

From: R N Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:08:50 -0700

Unfortunately the polyurethane membrane does not take well to oozing blobs
of toxic ferrous oxide. Meteorites should be "dried out" i.e. the
contaminents removed before placing into the membrane box. There are
various methods that have been discussed on the list and elsewhere. For
Irons, please refer to our article by Jim Hartman in Meteorite Times,
Meteorites 101, V.1, No. 8
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2002/November/index.htm

If you have a larger, more expensive, membrane box, it may be cost-effective
to return the box to us and for a small fee, usually about $1.50 or so per
box, plus shipping cost back to you, we will replace your membrane with a
new membrane. (This is actually below our cost, but a service we provide
for our clients on the meteorite list) If you have several smaller boxes, it
may also be cost effective to ship several back to us at the same time,
contingent on what your shipping cost, would be both ways. This could be
better than trashing a box entirely.

Other services: replacement of broken hinges and latches or changing the
color of a latch, 50 cents per hinge or latch per box (plus shipping back
to you), or you can buy replacement hinges or latches in yellow, blue or
colorless, for 25 cts. ea. and replace them yourself.

We cannot magically remove scratches, blemishes, and damage from other
tragic events such as you boxes falling off of a high shelf onto a cement
floor during a large earthquake (altho most boxes do pretty well if they
fall from a low shelf onto a carpet!).

Please advise us if you decide to return any boxes for repair. Our shipping
facility has relocated from Crestline, CA to Apple Valley, CA. and is
expanding in size. Our business office remains in Walnut, CA. On-line
addresses remain the same.

Ron Hartman
membranebox at earthlink.net