[meteorite-list] More stupid media use of meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:32:26 -0500

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:12:03 -0700, you wrote:

>Come on guys... It's a movie! And before you guys jump on me exclaiming
>that the movie should be more scientifically accurate, and Hollywood is
>only in it for the money I want to say. You're Right!

There is an old adage I've heard somewhere long ago about writing-- many famous,
talented writers do not strictly follow the rules of grammar that you have
pounded into you in school. So why (ask students) do we have to follow the
rules if they don't? The answer given is that you need to know the rules to be
allowed to break them.

That's the same thing I see with movies like this-- the best of Science Fiction
usually contains things that aren't scientifically valid to support the story--
time travel and FTL travel being two of the main ones. But the authors KNOW
that they are dealing with impossibilities (high improbabilities?) when they
write the material and hope that they can write it well enough that the
readers/watchers are willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story.

Hollywood productions like this and the moon one, on the other hand, are the
product of people too poorly educated to even know that the stuff they are
producing is a load of garbage. I'm very confident that they are clueless to
the physics they are trashing with their silly premises. Breaking the rules
when you KNOW the rules when doing so fits your needs I can respect. Breaking
the rules because you are too poorly educated to know them, I can't.