[meteorite-list] Fwd: Re: Hot Cold again was When the Moon hits your eye like a really, really, really big pizza pie

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

Any "heat" hot enough to start fires that would be related to meteorites would have to be coming from a very large meteorite hitting the ground is from molecular bonds being rent in twain not from latent heat within the meteoroid which in stone meteorites with low heat transmisivity could chill your beer. Irons are better at conducting and storing heat so they might be a little more than just warm to the touch.

Ablation studies have shown that the heat of ablation doesn't penetrate more than 5mm. And several meteorites formed a rind of frost shortly after landing.

 One of the Portales Valley stones was found melted to a plastic tarp and warm/hot arrival was argued. But anyone in Texas can relate to the temperature of a black body toasted up to cooking temperatures just by solar loading alone. I think one can get second degree burns between 140 and 160? F but something else would have to be involved to set your pants on fire.

So in absence of good data I have to remain in the lukewarm to dang cold corner of the hot cold debate.

Elton