[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: Paul G. Spears <pgspears_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:09:26 -0700

Hi, list members:
As a newcomer to the list, let me say that I have been impressed with the
articles and comments I have read already. ?I am learning quickly that you
members know your stuff, and that some of you might have a shot at becoming
stand-up comedians if you ever want to change professions.? The repartee and
camaraderie are delightful.? As I read the articles and follow the links, it
strikes me that my only hope of becoming adequately knowledgeable about the
significance and importance of meteorites is submersion in the books and
exposure to the fields.? ?

Concurrently with cracking the books, I am starting to acquire basic
equipment for my first meteorite hunt.? With the experience most of you
surely have had in using metal detectors, you may have found certain makes
to be superior to others.? Any recommendations you may have for a quality
detector would be greatly appreciated.? Also, I would like to try my hand at
making a one-meter detector if anyone has instructions and specifications
for them, or know who builds them.? Finally, I have a fairly good checklist
of items needed in the field, but if you have a list that you have used to
good advantage, it is likely much better than mine.

I promise I will not burden you with repeated calls for help, but your
geniality encourages me to make this request. It will better insure a proper
start in my retirement to what I expect will be an interesting and worthy
avocation.?

Cordially,

Paul G Spears