[meteorite-list] Oriented UNWA Diamonds in the Rough - Photos

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:15:27 -0400

Hi List!

I thought I would share some oriented stones from my UNWA box.

Here are 3 unclassified stones. The biggest I call the "Briquette"
because it's shape reminds me of a charcoal briquette. (Cosmic
Kingsford?) It weighs 90 grams and has many chondrules visible on the
surface. There is just enough crust on it remaining to reveal the
delicate flowlines radiating away from the leading face and towards
the broken backside. It's a pity this stone arrived to me broken - it
would have been nice to have the bubbly backside, instead there is a
portion of the backside and a remnant of rollover lip - the rest is
exposed matrix that is coated with wind polished desert varnish.

90 gram oriented briquette profile view with flowlines -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/flowlines-biscuit.jpg

Another view of the briquette -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/oriented-biscuit-1.jpg

Notice the plentiful chondrules -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/oriented-biscuit-a.jpg

The second stone is a tiny bullet or mushroom shape. It has a
prominent rollover lip and bubbly backside texture. Any traces of
flowlines on the leading face or edge have been removed by weathering.
 Some fine rivulets are just visible on the backside, but they don't
come out well in photos and are better seen with a loupe. This
unclassified stone weighs 4.15 grams.

Tiny bullet -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/bullet-side.jpg

Bullet leading face -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/bullet-front.jpg

Bullet backside -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/bullet-rear.jpg

Lastly, I have an unclassified heat shield stone. This stone weighs
16 grams and has a classic "bubbly" backside, partial rollover rim,
and faint remnants of flowlines near the lip.

Heatshield leading face -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/shield-front.jpg

Heatshield backside -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/oriented/shield-rear-2.jpg

The 90-gram briquette is a keeper, but I would trade the 2 smaller
stones if the offer is right. If anyone is interested, contact me
offlist.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG
--