[meteorite-list] My Apology to list

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:04:15 -0700

List, Tony, Randy, Ted, Mike, Anne, others,
It has been brought to my attention that some of my past posts have been, shall we say less than friendly and actually insulting to some.
I would first like to offer my sincere apology to any and everyone that I may have offended in any way. I have been especially impatient with some of the scientists on this list.
I have stated that The term "Looks Terrestrial" should never be used by scientists. This was said by me because I was personally insulted by such a phrase. It is as if they were telling me something I did not already know and in a mean way so, I got frustrated. Because I know some rare meteorites do look terrestrial. The only way to know the difference is by further study. I would not have bothered to pick it up or show it to them if I did not think it might be a meteorite. Now if a scientist tells me it " IS" terrestrial then that is a different opinion. That one is easier to take. That means they know it is and are willing to commit that it is not a meteorite and that is perfectly fine to do. I do respect there expertise. But the word "Looks" is very non committal to me and really does not tell me much.
In my defense, I am reminded of the case of "Cat Mountain". This was proclaimed to be terrestrial slag by two scientists as well as Bob Haag and as we all know it turned out to be not only meteoritic but, one of the greatest IMB ever discovered. Thank God Shirley Wetmore x rayed it to discover it actually was a meteorite and good thing the finder persisted in their pursuit. This has taught me to always get a second opinion.
In my further defense, I think part of the problem is that I have terrible writing skills. People often take what I say as totally opposite of what I am trying to say. In other cases I just plain used poor judgement about what I am saying.
Although I am a newbie in selling meteorites I have been collecting and hunting since 1989. I also attend the Tucson show everyday of the show and I look at and study every different meteorite at the show. For this reason I have seen a lot of material.
I, like most of us was inspired by Bob Haag and I have known he and his family since 1989 as well. For this reason I do feel that I know a few things about meteorites that some others may not have experienced yet. Like many on this list I eat ,sleep and breath meteorites. So, sometimes I get frustrated with the scientific and classification process. To this extent I have insulted more than a few meteoriticists. I make no excuses but, at this time would like to offer my most sincere apology. Again, I am truly sorry for anything I may have said that was out of line and my hope is that we can put this all behind us and move on. I know at least I for one will be much more careful in the way I word things in the future. From now on any disagreements I have will be kept off-list.
Thank you and I do hope you all except this apology to all of you.
Carl
PS I have never stated that I went to Carancas personally and anyone who has ever read my eBay listing already knows this. So, to be clear, My team collected carancas and I sent Bob as a partner to bring them home. These are the Haag collection and never were the Esparza Collection. Thanks.

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
IMCA 5829