[meteorite-list] Re Yadda Yadda

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:13:40 -0400

I don't mind a little good natured back and forth. I even don't mind
if there is some professional rivalry, but as long as it remains
within the bounds of good taste - and if it doesn't drown out the real
content of the List. It's pretty obvious that Art doesn't want this
to be a moderated group. Moderating a group of this size is not easy
and it involves a lot of work and monitoring. It's very difficult for
a person with a life outside of the internet to maintain a well
moderated group. So then you have to "deputize" a few trusted people
to help with the moderation and then you start opening cans of worms
with cliques, enforcement bias, etc. And someone has to monitor the
moderators.

It has been argued that using a filter or blocking certain senders is
not good because it detracts from the context of conversations.
Perhaps in some cases, but if someone who is blocked posts something
meaningful, then it draws replies from unblocked people - then you can
scroll down and read the original blocked post. I have a few people
on this List blocked and my enjoyment of the List has improved
dramatically without regular injections of negativity and noise into
my inbox. Those people rarely, if ever, post anything of interest or
meaning - so I don't miss them.

It is much easier to "self moderate" this group by using inbox filters
and the delete button, than it is for Art to start closely moderating
this group. If nobody responds to the trolls and nobody buys from
dealers who abuse the List, then there is no incentive for them to
continue their behaviors - they will eventually stop. Trolls feed off
of attention and dealers thrive on sales - deny both and the
aggravation goes away. Using inbox filters and the delete button
accomplishes this goal. ;)

Best regards, clear skies, happy huntings, and let's talk meteorites!

MikeG

--
Michael Gilmer (Florida, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.