[meteorite-list] Koenigsbrueck, Saxonia is a hot desert find

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:25:46 +0200

What's more, this kind of things can make you paranoid about absolutely genuine
finds. An example:

At the time the first Neuschwanstein fragment was found, I happened to be in
contact with two professional meteoriticists about something. Both they and me
initially were surprised by the rusty character of the outer surface of
Neuschwanstein in the published pictures, and initially grew very suspicious. I
even communicated this suspicion to one of the lead investigators of
Neuschwanstein (who seemed to be a bit irked by that, I recall :-p). Luckily,
they had already done shortlived cosmic isotope determinations on the stone,
showing that it was indeed the real deal, a recent fall and not a displaced old
fall.

So at least for supposed "new" falls, shortlived cosmic isotopes are a good
method to check.

So far I haven't had displaced desert finds pushed to me as "Dutch finds", but I
did have an Indochinite presented to me as "found in the Netherlands" once.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)