[meteorite-list] Chesapeake Impact Specifics?

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:36:23 -0700 (PDT)

Ok Ok ok... I found this article cited (but don't want to pay the $32 to download it):
"Ancient impact structures on modern continental shelves: The Chesapeake Bay, Montagnais, and Toms Canyon craters, Atlantic margin of North America by C. Wylie Poag, Jeffrey B. Plesciab and Phillip C. Molzera" in "Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography
Volume 49, Issue 6, 2002, Pages 1081-1102
Ocean Impacts: Mechanisms and Environmental Perturbations " and it cites 23 additional craters associated with Chesapeake Not including Tom's( River) Canyon. I assume these are all subsurface. Anyone with access to the article, does it have a graphic/map for this crater field or explain how they were located?

Looking at the cross section at Wikipedia; the breccia "pile" is 99% contained in the buried crater so it may be 4200ft thick and the central peak is far below the rim of the crater so it may be 3000ft high. What the author failed to mention is that the whole structure is more than a half mile below ground level!

I guess all things are relative but we fail to grasp the relationships at times--in this case to "sea level". Speaking of sea level which we know varies over time-- the new testament speaks of the "Sermon on the Mount". Well been there and done that and the "Mount" is about the size of a buried school bus--AND it is about 400 ft below sea level--another thing not depicted correctly in 2000 years of bible inspired art.

Elton