[meteorite-list] AD - material from the 2008TC3 Asteroid, availability of the meteorite Almahata Sitta Ureilite-an

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:02:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Matthias,

thank you for your kind words.

I just want to be clear here; I discovered 2008 TC3, but I had nothing to do with finding or collecting the meteorites now called Almahata Sitta.

As far as I know, very few of the original meteorites collected by Jenniskens, Muawia Shaddad and the students of the University of Khartoum have been released to researchers in any quantity. Since they were collected during expeditions paid for in large part by NASA, I doubt that any of those fragments and individuals will be released to the collector market.

I collect meteorites only as a personal hobby and while I hope one day to add a piece of "Station 6" to my collection, this offering is a bit beyond my current meteorite collecting budget.

Cheers

--
Richard