[meteorite-list] "The Fallen Sky" Redux

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:10:52 -0500

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:44:39 -0400, you wrote:

>Are there limericks?

Not so far. But there are new units of mesurement. For instance, the width of
a specific asteroid is described as roughly the distance from the place where
the author met his wife to the place where they divorced. Okay, so that sounds
like something I'm making up. I'll quote it:

The diameter of Ceres is almost exactly the distance between the college town of
Bloomington, Indiana, where my wife and I first met and courted, to the college
town of Manhattan, Kansas, where we moved for her teaching job and where our
marriage will end."

So, when you think of asteroid sizes, you can now frame it in units of
exwifeums.

This is among the many times you will hear about his ex-wife (and his "deep
yearnings" for an unnamed woman before his ex-wife) in the first 30 pages of the
book. Given that she was also brought up in the few pages I skimmed in the
chapter on meteorite dealers, it seems like I will be reading many, many florid
descriptions pertaining to his ex-wife and his various other love interests as I
glean out the material that is actually related to meteorites.