[meteorite-list] "The Fallen Sky" Redux

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:30:07 -0500

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:10:03 -0700, you wrote:

>Dear Listees:
>
>More about Chris Cokinos' new meteorite book "The Fallen Sky" here:
>
>http://meteoriteblog.org/

Oh, and that quote you gave (which I'll reproduce below) is an excellent
illustration of why I'm finding the book tedius already. That prose is deeply
purple.

? The olivine, which on Earth is the gemstone peridot, seems to glow from
within. Slices of pallasites look a bit like the coat of a metal leopard with
green spots . . . Brenham olivine is autumnal and ethereal, like an October
forest and sky in a luminist painting. The curves of metal looks like sinuous
paths connecting lakes seen from on high. A slice of Brenham? It?s a silver
sponge that soaks up light.?