[meteorite-list] LPL Apollo 11 Anniversary Event and Meteorite People

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

As an LPLer who was not involved with the planning or execution of this event, I think those who did should be congratulated for the fine celebration that was held in the LPL atrium yesterday. I know I had a great time as did the hundreds and hundreds of our guests.

A special thanks to those involved in the meteorite displays. They deserve another thank you too for making the event a hit.

The display of sixteen(!) different lunar meteorites was fantastic and made this event more special!

(In no particular order, and sorry if I miss anyone)

Mike Farmer
Geoff Notkin
Robert Ward
Shauna Russell
Greg Hupe

along with their friends and assistants all deserve thanks. While it was about the Apollo 11 anniversary, the end of the atrium holding the meteorites was nearly always packed with people, especially children. Geoff was giving away posters and to a limited number of early arrivers, actual meteorites. I wonder how many new collectors the efforts of all the participants generated yesterday? I'm sure quiet a few!

You all deserve thanks.

I saw but didn't get a chance to say hello to Jack Schrader, Rubin Garcia and Marvin Kilgore. Again, sorry if I missed anyone else who was there.

Finally a special thanks goes to Dolores Hill.
She is sometimes too humble and will never stand up and take a bow, but she certainly deserves some public praise. She tirelessly explained everything meteorite to the kids, both little and big. One couldn't help but notice all of the young girls at her table that were excited by meteorites.

When we left just after 8pm, Dolores was still going string, even though she had been up and going full speed since 6am on nothing more than a bagel and water.

She is a jewel in the field of meteoritics; One that all too often goes under appreciated. This field is lucky to have her.

--
Richard Kowalski