[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting ethics

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:12:48 -0700

Hi All,

Joe writes:

> There is nothing "illegal" about the way Carl found it...

I didn't say there was. My post was more about ethics and
hypothetical situations.

> Just cuz somebody makes the first find, no matter who it is
> does not own the strewnfield, not by any means, unless it
> is on his property.

Irrelevant to the discussion. Did I ever say anywhere in my post
that Jack has exclusive rights to his discovery location? No.

> ...just cuz it is in AZ they feel the need to sccop it all
> up for themselves, thats not right...

Jack has never said anything of the sort; and Mike has already
pointed out that if you found the fall location *independently*,
then you would have just as much right to be there as they do
(assuming it didn't violate existing arrangements with any
property owners).

> I see it as selfish...

I see it as SMART. Frankly, I would rather have scientifically-
minded people helping to recover a new fall because they actually
care about science, not because of fame or profit.

> Who is to say Carl will not get GPS coordinance and in situ
> photo?

If he finds anything, perhaps he will. Indeed, I hope he would.

> After the way Jack, Mike and the other acted, I would
> not give them any info on my finds, they are not doing the
> same for anyone else.

If this is really how you feel, I can't say I'd be very interested
in enlisting your help to recover a new fall. For the scientists,
this isn't a game. It isn't about money, or petty jealousies. It's
about quality scientific data. Every meteorite that is recovered
"improperly" is a lost data point. If I was in Jack's shoes (which
to some degree, I am) I would feel no obligation whatsoever to share
my hard-earned results with anyone until I was damned good and ready.

> This fall just shows the true colors of some of the hunters.

Quite so.

> Like you said, when Jack invited Farmer he knew there was a chance
> that somebody may find the strewnfield cuz he is so high profile.
> He took that chance and it happened.

Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't. You only have Carl's say-so at this
point. As far as I know, he doesn't have any meteorites as evidence
to back up the claim.

> Carl did not put a beacon on Mikes Car.

Did I say he did? No. My hyperbole was meant to show how various
levels of "cheating" were different only in magnitude, not flavor.
They're all unethical to varying degrees.

To summarize:

1. You don't have a right to know what Jack figured out.
2. Jack doesn't have a right to prevent you from figuring out what
    he did -- by your own scientific means.
3. If you aren't yet clever enough to do #2, then educate yourself
    so that you can. It's really not rocket science.

--Rob