[meteorite-list] Question For The List ???? WHO IS THE BEST ANDMOST SUCCESSFUL METEORITE HUNTER OUT THERE?

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:13:55 -0700

Hello,

Actually, Nininger DID NOT personally find that many meteorites. His
recoveries through his other efforts allowed him to recover thousands
of pounds of meteorites, but he the man/individual-personally did not
find that many. I have read ALL his books, many, many times. In fact,
I usually take a copy of Find A Falling Star with me to read when I am
in the field.

Nininger is great for a lot of reasons and I hold him in the highest
of all regards. However, if you look through the British Catalog of
Meteorites, you will find very few meteorites that were actually found
by him. I do not remember how many exactly (maybe 2). Nininger and
meteorite recoveries are a different story. He recovered through the
efforts of his teachings, lectures, and other people looking for him -
tons of meteorites.

One of the few meteorites that Nininger personally found was Puente-
Ladron in Socorro County, New Mexico. Nininger's arch rival Lincoln
LaPaz stated that Nininger transported the meteorite there. Lapaz
hated Nininger, so much that he wrote many papers with out right lies
about Nininger.

Yes, Nininger recovered a lot of Plainview and Toluca. However, I am
not sure if he personally found any?? Someone want to tally up the
personal finds of Nininger-that would be great.

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham