[meteorite-list] WHO IS THE BEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL METEORITEHUNTER OUT THERE?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 04:32:50 +0200

Well Carl,

It's because the Russians are so modest and don't attach much importance in
public profiling.

Uh all the lunars they found, the Martians, hundreds of finds in Oman, some
of them where also in Libya before - and think to all the additional stuff
Tsarev, Polujamki, Markovka, Brahin, Kainsaz, Vengerovo, Sikhote, Chinga,
Dronino, Pallasovka, Seymchan + many more, even Muonionalusta, Morasko...

I bet, if one would unleash the Russians in Australia, it wouldn't take
longer than 2 years and we would have the first lunar strewnfield there.

If I were an Australian meteoricist, I would be so clever to give them a
contract - to pay them the trips (they work cheaper than any official
expedition) and half of the finds for them, half for the crown,
and soon the racks in the institutes would bow from the load of new
meteorites.

(But obviously that is undesired, as well as in Oman meanwhile.
In a strange, strange world we're living.)

May they live long like Nininger, then for sure they will get head of him
and may they live prosper, more prosper than they do now and more as it was
granted to Nininger.

BTW how many finds exactly Nininger has in his record?

Best!
Martin

PS:
Most meteorites on Earth found by the people of Sahara, more than in
Antarctica,
but the finders are all nameless and maybe there are some unknown Niningers
among them....
Nowadays we have a prohibition in several countries there and the locals
shall not collect them anymore. The same sooner or later is expected for
Morocco.
Some scientists believe that they would be able to find all these meteorites
in future by their own. They think they can replace the knowledge and
experience and the willingness to suffer of the hundreds of local searchers
there. The records so far are known,
therefore I'd say, it's a case of featherbrained overestimation of their
capabilities (and quite a disrespect of the local people, who delivered them
all their stones before).

Nininger in his times was often treated in a depreciatory way from the
scientists' side - in as far the observations we can make today are not
completely new
(but at his times they were at least intelligent enough not to bar him from
hunting)
- so it will be for most of us a certain satisfaction to observe the
parallelism going on,
that in the next generation of meteoritics the names of the so successful
finders of our days will be cherished,
while the names of those, who will have ruined everything in having
accomplished the bans and protectionist laws,
will have been long forgotten in the footnotes of meteoritics.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----