[meteorite-list] AD, New Meteorite Men Collectible on Ebay Closing on Thursday Night

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:47:59 -0400

Hi Steve, Mike and List,

>From the peanut gallery -

Ok guys, enough is enough. This back and forth is making us all look
bad and making meteorites look bad by proxy. Newbies are going to
come here and think that space rocks infect people with Andromeda
Strain madness.

Look, when I act up and say stupid things on the List, most people
ignore it. Who am I anyway?

But you guys are the big names in the field - you guys are
representatives of the hobby. You are in magazines and on TV. I knew
who Steve Arnold and Mike Farmer were before I knew there were
different types of carbonaceous chondrites. So when you guys come on
the List and start going back and forth with general nastiness, it
carries more weight and grabs more attention than it would if I was
saying it. (or some other Johnny Come Lately) People are going to
think - so this how meteorite people behave, I think I'll go collect
pez dispensers now.

Professional meteorite hunters (the successful ones, like you guys)
live a life the rest of us armchair chasers dream of - you get to
"work" by chasing space rocks and finding them. It beats the hell out
of getting up at 4:30am and running a forklift at a distribution
center or digging ditches for a living. (although, one could argue
that finding meteorites does involve some ditch digging) - you guys
are part of a very small brotherhood that gets to make a living from a
PASSION. How cool is that? To wake up in the morning and ENJOY the
idea of going to work.

Steve is riding high on his Meteorite Men success right now - let him
have it. Damn, if the tables were turned, I'd like to think that any
of us wouldn't get our hides skinned because we revelled in our
success of finding meteorites. And I understand what Mike is saying
about too much hype - it what the radio does to new music - they run
it into the ground until you are sick of hearing it. But there is no
reason to carry out a public slapfight over this. Take it to private
email. Mike, I'm sure you have Steve's phone number - call him up and
bitch him out over the phone so we don't have to hear it. All you are
doing is alienating customers/newbies - which I'm sure you don't care
about because they are "nickel and dime" customers anyway. Actually,
if I was profit-minded, I'd be loving this - because for every newbie
you guys turn off, they come running to people like me - and I am more
than happy to sell them all of the nickel and dime meteorites they
want.

I promised myself and the List, I'd keep my mouth shut and think
before hitting "send" - which I have done for a week now while this
continues on and on. So here you have it.

Best regards and let's knock it off,

MikeG