[meteorite-list] A note about the Paypal - personal transaction "exploit"

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:14:06 -0400

Hi List,

Recently there was some discussion the List about a new policy by
PayPal allowing people to send money as a "personal gift" instead of
the usual commercial transaction - thus skipping the fee. I just
wanted to make people aware of an issue regarding this practice. If
you send money using this "personal" method, then the transaction is
not eligible for PayPal shipping. PayPal figures that since it's a
gift or money transfer that is personal, then there is no need to ship
a package - so there is no available option to print a shipping label
and use PayPal to pay for the postage. This means the seller saves
the small fee, but then has to make a trip to the Post Office instead
of putting the package in the mailbox on the front porch for the mail
carrier to pickup. For the small potatoes people like myself, I don't
mind paying the PayPal fees - it's part of the game. Heck, what is 3
or 4% of $20 anyway? Now, the bigger dealers who are selling multiple
pieces worth hundreds or thousands of dollars each, may take a
different view of fees.

Plus, intentionally skirting the fee system by conducting commercial
transactions via the personal method is a violation of PayPal's TOS.
(Terms of Service) - it can jeopardize your PayPal business or
premiere account. So my advice to dealers who are contemplating this
method as a means to conduct business is - think again and consider if
it's worth risking your PayPal account and having to make extra trips
to the post office.

I don't want any particular person to think this is in response to
something they said or did. I've had a couple of trading partners
recently inquire about this method - thinking they might be doing me a
favor by suggesting it. I politely decline - I'd rather pay the
modest fee and be able to track the package from my desktop using
PayPal shipping. Heck, I don't do enough transactions to be tempted
by the idea in the first place. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

--