[meteorite-list] Astro Mikes meteor streak Photo

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:56:02 -0700

Hey Dean, List,

OK all... Before we get all excited over this. The photo IS in fact 100%
a fireball, without a doubt it is a fireball fragmentation. It came from
Mike Hankey and he has graciously let me post it on my meteorite blog.

There is an explanation of the photo below with links to enhanced
images. It is not a plane, though I thought it was when I first looked
at it, after careful examination and looking at the hi-res images it is
a fireball/bolide event captured in the photo. There are too many
streaks large and small for this to be a plane unless that plane is lit
up like a Christmas tree.

In addition you will notice that toward the bottom of the image the
streak get further apart, just as pieces of the fireball would have done
during fragmentation...

Look at this hi-res image:
http://meteoriteblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/meteorjuly62009-watermarked-blog.jpg

And this one here which I enhanced to show the streaks a bit clearer:
http://meteoriteblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Fireball-Photo-MH-closeup.jpg

And this one:
http://meteoriteblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Fireball-Photo-Mike-Hankey-.jpg

Read the blog post here:
http://meteoriteblog.com/fireball-photos-meteor-streaks-through-sky-pa-fireball/

Enjoy...

Regards,
Eric

P.S. Sky & Telescope has asked Hankey to publish the image...