[meteorite-list] PA fall media hype

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:43:47 -0700 (PDT)

This is out of control, endless media hype by those seeking nothing but fame, and nothing about what the public should be looking for.
After days of walking, I am sitting here in Tucson, playing with two week old meteorites, and resting my blister-covered feet and catching up on the last few days of emails.
I am sickened by these stories, the backstabbing already in full swing out east. We don't want and by holding our cards to our chest, we don't have that problem out here. I hope everyone can see that now. Offers in papers about "paying more, and don't sell to greedy dealers on the ground, just call me" etc. Now you know why we don't want any help with our fall. We are working together, and finding stones.

I speak for myself here, so any crap needs come to me, as my teammates and friends are in the field right now, but work must be done since I am at home and I am taking today to recuperate.

This endless media blitz over "Meteorite-Men" is getting old. Every email, every eBay auction, every mention of some people to throw that quip in. How long must we endure this hype? Come on, just get out there and work, your fame is worth about $1.00 in the field. Walking, blisters, sunburns, that will find meteorites, not talking about your show.
In NONE of those articles is there a peep that locals in that area need to get out and walk the streets, look for black burned stones, check the lawn, parking lots, parks..... Why not? Tell people what to do, not the prices per gram, it has to be found to be sold.
If this PA stone is found, it won't be with the pictures but by a person mowing their lawn, or driving down the road. Focus on the hunt, use the locals and this can be found, keep hyping yourselves and it is just publicity, and the meteorite will be lost.
Sad.
Michael Farmer