[meteorite-list] How far away can a meteor be heard?

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:15:43 -0700

That?s a good question. There's one major difference between a
meteor-produced sonic boom and thunder - altitude. Most thunderstorms occur
below 10 km altitude while fireballs occur well up in the 20-30 km range.
That means that the fireball should propagate to a wider area, but it seems
in practice that their sonic booms are highly directional. I think its a
bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, since thunder radiates
omnidirectionally from low altitude while fireballs "push" a compression
wave ahead of their direction of travel at a much higher altitude. Thunder
also propagates without seeing much in the way of change in air pressure,
while fireball sonic booms radiate downward through a pretty substantial
increase in air pressure.

So my answer is... It depends. (Which is almost always the answer to a
scientific question!) People directly along the path of a fireball should
hear something louder than those off to the sides, I would expect. In
principle a fireball's sonic boom should also travel farther since it starts
higher up, but I suspect that propagating downward and outward through
increasingly thicker atmosphere would serve to deflect and diminish it.

I bet that research into airburst nuclear weapons blasts included modeling
of shock waves and would be very useful for answering that question, but I'm
thinking that we're not going to get a look at that data any time soon.
Just a hunch.