[meteorite-list] Fw: Re: - "witness" to July 6 Fireball PA

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:44:29 -0600

No, witness reports continue to be a big help. In particular, reports about
sonic booms can be very helpful. It has been observed in many cases that
these tend to be heard only near the fall zone, and this has proved very
useful for a number of meteorite hunters. If you have good information about
the location of the terminal explosion, the next step is to interview people
on the ground in an effort to narrow down the search area.

There should be good radiosonde data available in most places as well. Once
the height of the terminal explosion is determined, this should be used to
model the dark flight. This data can be the difference between an
uncertainty on the ground of a few square miles versus hundreds of square
miles.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory