[meteorite-list] - "witness" to July 6 Fireball PA

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:23:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/9/2009 4:46:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
drtanuki at yahoo.com writes:
Regarding what a meteorite is worth.... it is worth what you or someone is
willing to pay, so I suggest that you re-phrase the question to the
reporter when asked, and reply that "I am willing to pay up to... (or a realistic
price) range".

Dirk,

The problem is that I am not willing to pay anything for a meteorite, at
least not now. I didn't come here to buy a meteorite. And as such, I didn't
talk to the media about buying one. I was asking for people to check their
video and to come forward if they had any footage with the fireball.

The reporters didn't ask me what I was willing to pay. They asked me
somewhere in the context of "All this effort,spent time and money, to come up
here and do all this work, are meteorites worth it?" Which I answered with
the normal response of how they can be valuable to science, bla, bla, bla,
and that museums and researchers and private collectors are interested, bla,
bla, bla. And then I was asked "Well, what are meteorites worth?"

And, even if I was wanting to buy a meteorite, I still would not quote a
price, because I don't give quotes for purchase when I don't know how big it
is, what condition it is in, or the supply and demand factors involved at
the moment of making the offer. All that can change, and about the only
thing certain, is that when the time might come to make a real offer on a
real meteorite, I would most likely be willing to pay more or less, maybe far
more or far less than any quote I would give back in the hypothetical
stage.

Again, the question to me wasn't what I was willing to pay, but what
meteorites are worth.

Now, I have some work to do, and some rocks to go find.

Have a nice day.

Steve Arnold
of "Meteorite Men"

**************Dell Studio XPS Desktop: Save up to $400 - Limited Time Offer
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222466512x1201463496/aol?redir=htt
p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D3)