[meteorite-list] Martin's Wisdom - Was "Yet another gimmicky expensive meteorite collectable"

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:58:29 -0400

Martin said -

"Gosh perhaps we should buy 1001 IMCA-Teddy-Bears and whenever we meet one of
the old protectionists, we could bombard him with that stuff and scream: We
love meteorites, we love you, we want to help you, we want to bring you so
much meteorites more, which you never would get else and which you never
would get funded...."

So true. So funny. I just blew coffee out of my nose. LOL

--------------------------------------

I hereby resolve, in full view of the List, to go back through the
archives and save all of Martin's best postings about this issue - and
with his blessing (if I can get it), I'd like to piece them all
together into some kind of collection on the subject. Perhaps a
webpage with a "best of" list of quotations and statistics. Martin
has written extensively and frequently on this and he must be
exhausted from it. Even a man of manic typing speed can see the time
involved in writing his postings - not even accounting that he is
doing it (masterfully) in a second language. It is a shame to leave
them buried in the archives where only the converted can see. As he
said, this information is not secret - it is out there for anyone to
find. The problem is, the people who NEED to read it are not going to
look for it because it's buried in the Met Bulletin Database and in
works of limited availability like the Catalogue of Meteorites. Even
Burke's Cosmic Debris should be required reading for those who seek to
legislate meteorites - it illustrates well the power struggles behind
the scenes regarding the legitimacy of meteorites - lessons which
would apply well to the issue at hand.

Best regards,

MikeG