[meteorite-list] Yet another gimmicky expensive meteorite"collectable"

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:13:13 EDT

MikeG and all,

You said: "It is in nobody's best interest to restrict the search for,
discovery
of, and trade of meteorites."

I want to correct you. It is in the financial short term best interest
for researches and their institutions in a country to get grant money to
study their new meteorites. If they let the new meteorites out of their
borders, that is potentially millions of dollars those institutions won't get of
grant money that someone else will get.

That is the ONLY logical reason. A bad reason, but it is a reason.

And that greed and selfishness is strong enough in some places to get the
stupid laws past. As Martin pointed out, in many cases it might just be
one researcher the nudges the right person to get such a law passed.

Of course the results of such thinking is bad in the long term, but
nowadays, no one seems to care about the long term, only the short term.

Steve Arnold
of "Meteorite Men"

In a message dated 7/7/2009 9:41:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,