[meteorite-list] Arizone fall "a secret" ?

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 15:17:31 -0700 (PDT)

Greg,

There's nothing wrong with protecting the areas you work hard to find. I would do exactly the same as them; in fact I have lots of prospecting locations I keep quiet. I will admit that it would be very hard for me to make the public announcement that Jack gave.

Since it was found so soon after the fall, there must be witnesses who have some important clues. So I imagine the site will eventually be found by others. It's good that these finders are taking the time to collect data. But the first finders don?t always bother to do that. Our community has a bad name in some sectors because there are those who do just as Jack wrote; they pillage the site with no regard to preserving any information which may be useful for scientists. I think it's pretty short sited to pick up any meteorite without collecting basic data, which only requires modestly priced equipment and a few moments of one's time.

If you want to go hunting, start asking around. You'll find quite a few folks like Erik who will offer to take you out. Some will just offer you advice as to what tools, locations, etc. But that's still generous of them and you will find that information extremely valuable. There are many well-known locations that still produce meteorites and some hunters will have no problem taking you there because it?s public knowledge.

I can relate to your feelings Greg. I would love find one of these babies and I wish I could be included in the initial hunt, but unfortunately there are just too many folks to invite, especially folks they know well and consider great friends. Once lots of folks find out the location, inevitably there will be those who will start running ATVs all over the place and pick stones without helping to map the site. And that also leads to problems with the land owners, who don't want people trashing the place. After PF, West and other well documented falls, this is a rare, excellent opportunity to collect some important information.

I don?t doubt that money is a partial motivation, but there?s nothing wrong with that. I?m sure I?d still be interested in meteorites if they weren?t worth a whole lot of money. I was interested in them when I was young and I didn?t know they were worth anything. I invest a lot of time doing things just for the sake of knowledge. But their value is big attraction, and I doubt I?d invest as much of my time if they were worthless.

Where are you living? I?d be willing to give you a hand. I?m in the Tucson area.

Happy hunting to the finders and good luck to those who are still looking for this one!