[meteorite-list] Artifacts Embedded in Suevite Reported from Malaysia

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:14:05 -0800 (PST)

Stone tool artifacts discovered in suevite in Malaysia

http://www.researchsea.com/html/article.php/aid/3937/cid/6/research/usm_archaeological_discovery_can_change_world_history.html?PHPSESSID=b8204aec6f223e9ca02c1eae347bf168

An interesting article but maybe someone can explain to me how a group of respectable scientists can date suevite with an age of 1.83 +/- 0.61 Ma
and give that repeatedly as serious evidence that there was a human presence between 1.83-1.74Ma, predating all other evidence for the area by at least 0.1Ma.

I think it's more significant that there is tangible evidence that people have actually been killed by meteorites in the past. It's likely that at this time it would have been a significant percentage of the world population, even if it were just a few thousand.
Gotta feel some sympathy for them. If it happened to us, today, we'd at least understand what was going on.

Rob