[meteorite-list] H4? the terdaght meteorite fall

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:10:45 +1100

Hi Elton & all,

In my experience... you just never know what something might come back as.
Just think of the huge NWA EL3 find and all the classifications that went
through. There is hardly a chondrule to be seen in that meteorite... yet
it's a type-3!

There are a couple of others that I've had a 'double take' on and thought...
is that right?

This one for example was classified as an H6!!!!!!!! I have several pieces
of this meteorite and some have even more chondrules.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/collection/NWA%201287%20H6%205.0g.jpg

And then poor old NWA 2622... didn't quite make the type-3 club yet it's
even nicer than some of my other type-3's.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/favourite/january2005.html

But the meteoriticists know their stuff and everything is classified the way
it is for a reason!

Cheers,

Jeff