[meteorite-list] Article about Nininger in MAPS

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:03:18 -0700

Hi All
Here is an abstract of a very interesting article from the latest
(October) issue of MAPS. I can send the whole article as a PDF if
anyone is interested.

Harvey Nininger's 1948 attempt to nationalize Meteor Crater

Howard PLOTKIN1* and Roy S. CLARKE Jr.2
1Department of Philosophy, University of Western Ontario, London,
Ontario N6A 3K7, Canada
2Department of Mineral Sciences, National Museum of Natural History,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. 20560?0119, USA
*Corresponding author. E-mail: hplotkin at rogers.com
(Received 14 November 2007; revision accepted 23 May 2008)

Abstract?Harvey Nininger successfully petitioned the American
Astronomical Society to pass a
motion in support of nationalizing Meteor Crater, Arizona, at its June
1948 meeting. He alleged that
the Barringer family, who held title to the crater, was depriving
American citizens of its scenic beauty
and scientific value. He then reportedly went on to make the
unauthorized?and false?claim that the
family would be receptive to a fair purchase offer for the crater. The
Barringers, who had not been
given advance warning of the petition and were not present at the
meeting, felt ambushed. They
quickly and forcefully rebutted Nininger's allegations, made it clear
they had no intention of
relinquishing their title to the crater, and terminated his exploration rights.
What led Nininger to such a curious and self-defeating act? Based on
our reading of his
voluminous personal correspondence, we conclude that it was rooted
primarily in his complex
relationship with Frederick Leonard and Lincoln LaPaz, and his desire
to establish a national institute
for meteoritical research?with them, originally, but after a serious
falling out, on his own. Prevented
from moving his American Meteorite Museum to the crater rim, Nininger
wondered what would
happen if the crater was nationalized and made into a public park,
with an accompanying tourist
center and museum. With characteristic ?lan, [I had to look it up 1.
Enthusiastic vigor and liveliness.
   2. Distinctive style or flair.] he could picture himself at its
head, with a secure salary
and adequate space to exhibit his meteorite collection.

Here are all the other articles in the issue as well;
http://meteoritics.org/Current%20Issue.htm

Mike

Mike Jensen Meteorites
16730 E Ada PL