[meteorite-list] *** AD *** Many Top-Notch Specimens (and books) For Offer

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:45:46 -0500

Folks,

*************** Sorry if this email made it to the list once
already, but I wasn't sure if my 1st attempt to send this email got
through or not ***************

Many of you who have been on this list for a long time know that I
very rarely have a sale. Since my interest in meteorites is being
slowly, but surely, over-shadowed by other and much more important
matters I've decided to sell of part of my collection.

I need to liquidate a good portion of my collection -- so I'm
offering the following specimens and books all priced to go hopefully
very quickly.
I'm not interested in making a profit off of anything listed; in
fact, I'm offering EVERYTHING for substantially less than what
I paid for them. All specimens are of the highest quality and I'm
most certain everyone who collects
meteorites would agree with my statement upon examining them. I
purchased all of my specimens
from the top name dealers in our hobby. A majority of these
meteorites come with a beautiful COA that one dealer in
particular prides himself on and I will attest these COAs are almost
as impressive as the specimen itself! I pride myself on
how I care for my collection over the years and all specimens have
been kept in display cases with desiccant dehumidifiers
and VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) corrosion inhibitors. I have
photos of many of these specimens taken by one well known
dealer ( when I purchased them from him ) who is highly praised for
his photography among many other things. I will email
his photo ( plus if anyone wants a current photo of the specimen I've
taken ) of any specimen anyone may be interested in.
As per custom, I will of course supply the accompanying dealer ID
card with each specimen, and if anyone wishes, a copy of the
invoice showing what I paid for any given piece to further evidence
how I've priced to quickly sell.

As far as the books go, they are all either in mint condition to very
good, and also priced to go fast! I even have a couple of catalogs, one from
1992 and the other from 1997, published by the modern-era king of
meteorites himself, Bob Haag ( I say this to differentiate Bob from
the all time king, Harvey
Nininger). If Harvey was the "Father of American Meteoritics",

then certainly Bob is the son! I even have a "collector's limited
edition" catalog from
the notorious Michael Casper published in 2000. The catalog has a
published price of $25, of course that stays in step with Michael's somewhat
inflated ego as most would agree. This compared to the very humble
and unassuming Bob whose catalogs had no price published on them, but
did have a
price listed in his literature of the time of something like $12 if
memory serves. Anyway, the Casper catalog is mint while Bob's are
very good as far
as covers are concerned showing some minor wear with age, but the
interiors are in emaculate condition. I even have a couple of Bob's
price lists from the day
(pre-Internet when people actually sent such things via postal
service :-) ). The price on these catalogs and price lists are
somewhat negotiable, but due to their
rarity and condition, I'm not letting them go for free.

Following is a partial list of what I'm offering:

METEORITES:

Ghubara, full slice, 374.4g

Belle Plaine, full slice, 378.4g -- from Monnig collection

Sikhote-Alin, individual, 1,844g

Campo del Cielo (silicated), full slice, 45.0g

Campo del Cielo, etched full slice, 390g

Seymchan (siderite), full slice, 230.7g

Canyon Diablo, individual, 2,713g

Dimmitt, full slice, 38.0g -- from Monnig Collection

Brenham, part slice, 175.5g

Sayh al Uhaymir 001 (SAU 001), oriented individual, 362.2g

-- plus 10 or so other specimens

BOOKS:

Disturbing The Solar System -- Alan E. Rubin

Meteorites and Their Parent Planets -- Harry Y. McSween, Jr.

The Robert Haag Collection of Meteorites (Private Collection Edition)

Rocks from Space (2nd edition) -- O. Richard Norton

-- plus 6 or more titles

Like I said, this is only a partial list of meteorites and books I'm
willing to sell.
If anyone is interested, email for photos, prices, details, etc. I'm
willing to haggle a little over price,
but not much for I'm already willing to let MOST everything go for
less than what I paid by a fare margin!

I'll get back to any inquires as soon as I can, but I'll be tied up
doing some other things besides sitting at the
computer all weekend, so just please bare with me.

Thanks for your time and interest -
Mal