[meteorite-list] Ringwoodite

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:41:33 -0800 (PST)

Hello Pete: Off the top of my head -- I don't recall ever hearing of "indigo" blue in a meteorite. I do know that ringwoodite is barely translucent with a pale purple-over-brown tint especially visible to the eye under a low power loupe. Perhaps it is just semantics.

When the list last visited ringwoodite veins, I believe they were almost always found in L chondrites but this could have been from paired finds. I say this suggesting that the bulk of ringwoodite veins observed/sampled on earth might have come from the same disrupted parent body-- but have nothing other than vignette evidence to support it.

I believe your discovery is about right regarding ringwoodite abundance. I have seen swellings of ringwoodite veins to about 3-5mm but 1mm is normal. Ringwoodite veins are likely injection veins along existing fractures/lines of weakness. The purity of the veins does not suggest the veins occur as flash melts.

About 8 years ago there was a run of ringwoodite bearing slices being sold but I believe it came from a larger find of multiple stones--Sorry I don't have the NWA numbers.

Please send a photo when /if you can.

Elton