[meteorite-list] Bush, Obama, the "alien" perspective and a bit of science, too

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:28:01 -0800 (PST)

I apologise for adding to this contentious issue but as a British subject, I feel appropriate to make a few points

1: Yes, Mike. I think you're right, most of the rest of the world accepts Barak Obama with open arms. There can be no denying that most of the rest of the world thought Bush Jr. was a buffoon. I apologise for the non-meteorite related nature of this point.

2: Having said that, NASA seem, now, to be committed to a return to the moon. I am delighted by that as a citizen of the world. Only the US can really afford such a venture and it was Bush who made the commitment. As a collector of lunar meteorites, I am not concerned about the value of my stock. It wouldn't surprise me if it went up, at least in my lifetime. No, I consider it far more important that we go back. We will learn far more about the moon and possibly, our own meteorites by going back to study the place. We must never forget, had we not gone there in the late 60s/early 70s, we would not know with certainty that the rocks we own come form there. The Moon is an important staging post to Mars. One day we will go there. It will provide us with more informations about our SNCs and maybe help us identify and rocks from Mars that look far more terrestrial in origin. We know Mars has sedimentary rocks, now. Why are they absent in our collections? That
 we may eventually know the answer to these questions, makes me glad that the decision to return to the moon was made.

3: Having heard about the Maple Leaves, I am intrigued and concerned. I'd love to know more about them but I'd prefer to hear it off-list, direct from the contributor that brought it to our attention in jest/irony.

May this be an end to the GWB matter?

(somehow I doubt it. Oh well)