[meteorite-list] Question: Gamma-spectroscopy and Terrestrial Aging

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:00:17 -0500

Mike/All,
I'd be interested in learning more about this as well. It's too late
tonight, but I think Svend has some understanding of this process. He
commissioned the classification of Noktat Addagmar
(http://www.fallingrocks.com/Collections/NoktatAddagmar.htm), which came
back with a "terrestrial age" of 20.8 years, give or take. I really haven't
a clue what was done to make this determination, though I'd planned to
research this further if and when some free time avails itself. Anyway,
Svend had sensed that this meteorite was from a very recent fall -- and, in
the grand scheme of things it certainly was -- yet was very surprised to see
it had been sitting in the desert for a couple of decades. Assuming that
there is a reasonably tight degree of accuracy in making these analyses, it
would be fascinating to revisit many locations already posted in the
archives to learn more about their terrestrial life spans. This exercise
would no doubt elevate our understanding of event frequencies, apparent
terrestrial weathering in various climes and the like...
All best, and see you soon,
Dave
www.fallingrocks.com