[meteorite-list] Northwest Africa Falls - Question

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:37:27 +0100

Hi Ryan,

it's because of the iron mountain in Atlas, which still has to be found and
which attracts with his magnetic field all iron-bearing lumps from space.

No. Take a World map, hold little Europe (forget a little bit about
Scandinavia),
hold it against that NWA region, Algeria, Mali, Niger, Morocco,
Mauretania....

And let's count the falls:

Let's start with Zag 1998.

NWA-Regions:

Zag 1998
El Idrissa 1998
Djoumine 1999
Beni M'hira 2001
Bensour 2002
Oum Dreyga 2003
Maigatari-Danduma 2004
Benguerir 2004
Bassikounou 2006
Chergach 2007
And now the new possible fall.

Europe:

Ourique 1998
Leighlinbridge 1999
Moravka 2000
San Michele 2002
Neuschwanstein 2002
Alby sur Cheran 2002
Villalbeto 2004
Moss 2006
Puerto Lapice 2007
Romanian Fall 2008

11 : 11.

So nothing suspicious.

USA had 7
India 10

Best!
Martin

Ok Folks,

I am curious to know why there are so many witnessed (recovered) meteorite
falls in Northwest Africa as opposed to anywhere else in the world. Is there
a good logical and/or scientifc explanation for this?.. or just a
coincidence? I understand that some "falls" simply turn out to be a case of
Nomadic lies in an attempt to liquidate (recycle) old material, but what
about the others? Perhpas it has something to do with it's geographical
location in relation to..?
And yes, I do understand these people spend countless hours outdoors, in the
desert, ect. but..

What are your thoughts?

Ryan