[meteorite-list] Northwest Africa Falls - Question

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 03:39:15 -0500

Thanks for the good answers, Martin. Being the quantitative type, I
would mention:

Of the desert regions of the world, a rough indicator where stones can
be found more readily for the reasons already mentioned,

Approximately 60% of the world's deserts are polar-tundra/ice types

Of the remaining 40% of warmer accessible places, roughly half is the
Sahara.
(And in the Sahara, other stones are relatively rare in many areas,
too, and it is basically searchable year-round.)

And of the non-polar deserts (including the Gobi, etc. etc.), the
Sahara represents (expletive) around 75% of the arid classification,
where among other things, vegetation is very sparse, roughly based on
classifications by Peveril Meigs.

Considering these numbers, if a meteorite falls in the Sahara - the
same size as the USA including Alaska, and there is enough
incentivization, they can be found more easily.

In the last 2 months:
Tok, Alaska is 2200 km from Buzzard Coulee, Sask., which in turn is
1600 km from Penrose, Colorado.

In the last 2 and a quarter Years:
Atlas Mountain Event is 900 km from Chergach which in turn is 900 km
from Bassikounou.

Just some numbers for me to meditate to sleep on tonight... :-)

Best wishes,
Doug