[meteorite-list] Is there smelly life out there?/Pillinger

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:48:32 -0500

Hello Graham,

Thanks for the kind words on Dr. Pillinger. I am sure he has faced very
difficult challenges throughout his career, considering the dependence
in the UK on politicians and external agencies for the success of such
forward looking endeavors.

It is sad to learn about his situation with MS and I hope even The Sun
is kind enough to be a little more discreet in its opportunism and
spinning of yarns that tie him to their half-truthed propaganda.

 From the national academy of science of the UK, here were Dr.
Pillinger's wishes for Christmas in 2007, in his own words:

A copy of Werner von Braun's book "the Mars project". (How the rocket
pioneer proposed to put humans on Mars, written the 1940/50s). I could
get this Tickets to Jeff Wayne's musical "War of the Worlds" at O2 on
December 22. This is based on H.G Wells book (still the best ever
science fiction story) and although Wayne's is a musical he has kept
the story line as HG wrote it, not transported it to USA (even though
Jeff is an American). His production is getting more and more
adventurous and I would love to see it. Tickets are all sold out so not
much hope unless I brazenly ring up jeff wayne and invite myself. (I
have met him a couple of times and interviewed him for THES). Now comes
the real wishful thinking. I would like the UK government to commit to
a real involvement in manned space activities starting20with a return to
the moon to create a permanent base. I was involved in the Apollo
programme and know just how much it inspired the World. I had always
believed the UK would be amongst the first on the Moon (see book
Journey into Space by Charles Chilton). The Nasa administrator, Mike
Griffin, is here in UK at the moment seeking UK to join NASA in a full
partnership. He said at a meeting last night he wants a full
partnership not UK to turn up in 2020 saying they would now like a
British astronaut on a flight. In my dreams we commit now to sharing in
this adventure and it goes ahead in time for Michael Foale (i.e.
someone with joint UK/US citizenship) is first Commander of the
permanent base on the Moon. If I can only have only one present I'll
have the last one. NB Even I am not so unrealistic as to believe asking
the UK government to pay for a Beagle 3 would get me anywhere except
committed to an Institution for the insane.

Best health,
Doug