[meteorite-list] Next Question

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:22:38 +1100

Hi Pete,

Good questions. You'll often find many small 'droplets' or small individuals
from some of the larger iron falls. I guess they're a little more prevalent
with recent falls because they are smaller and will oxidise away faster
relative to larger pieces. A few that come to mind are Sikhote and Taza. And
a great example of it is the Glorieta Mountain pallasite. There are lots of
little pieces that have presumably molten and 'flecked off' the larger mass
some of which even have some olivine attached or enclosed.

And yes... you can find regmaglypts on oriented "nose cones". They're
probably not as common as other individuals but they do occur. One thing to
note though is that they are often elongated parallel to the flight path. An
immediate example that comes to mind that displays this is the famous "Venus
Stone":

http://www.meteoriteman.com/graphics/venus.jpg

I also have a smaller 277g iron heat shield which has very shallow
depressions that I guess you would call regmaglypts. I would guess that the
larger the nose cone specimen the more chance you may have of getting
regmaglypts.

Cheers,

Jeff