[meteorite-list] Curious stones?

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:54:18 -0800

Hey all,

This is not a "is this a meteorite?" question

I've been going through cleaning out some boxes of NWA XXX meteorites
and I found some meteorites I forgot I had. All these stones are very
highly magenetic and snap hard to a neo mag.

PHOTOS: http://www.meteoritesusa.com/odd-stones.htm

The two broken and sliced pieces appear to be mesosiderite, and I have 5
other pieces that are 100% positive to be meso from this batch that I
have sliced and or sanded.

Anyone have any information on these pieces or seen any other meteorites
like them? Send me a link, information or photos if you do...The odd
part about the sliced and broken pieces are the hollow interiors of some
of the stones. I have reservations on some of these pieces about their
meteoric origin but there are some in this batch that are 100% mesosiderite.

What causes this? And if it's oxidation/corrosion why are they corroding
form the inside out?

Eric