[meteorite-list] What makes a hammer a hammer?

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 02:59:17 EST

Hello Robert,

To answer your direct question, no I have not seen the "Hodges's stone."

However, in Dr. King's Meteorite Collection Catalog he listed the source of
his Sylacaga specimen as, and I quote:

"Source: Alabama Mus. Nat. Hist., Douglas Jones"

Now, if anyone on the list has access to the Hodges's stone to examine, my
hunch is that the core would have been removed from the bottom portion, as it
is displayed, and the hole was probably plugged with something and colored so
as to hide the fact that a core was removed. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but
as I recall there were some correspondence letters between Dr. King and the
Alabama Museum of Natural History at the time leading up to the acquisition.
And there was a concern that any examination would not hurt the aesthetic
appearance of the stone.

However, it might be easier to ask the Smithsonian if their records indicate
that any of their Sylacaga was traded to Dr. King. But with the conflict
NASA (including Dr. King) had with the Smithsonian in the 1960's I seriously
doubt any trades were done with the Smithsonian.

As many of you know, we auctioned off the King Collection, and it would make
some of you sick if you knew how cheaply that specimen sold for. I was
surprised at the time, but then again, there were many great specimens in the
collection being sold, and most people had to budget where they spent their
money, so some things went a little lower than expected at that time. Since
then, the value has appreciated to more reasonable levels.

I hope this answers your question Robert?

Steve Arnold #1

In a message dated 1/3/2009 10:11:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,