[meteorite-list] Quadrantids 2009

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 03 Jan 2009 20:03:05 UT

Barb and Jake wrote:

"Jake and I were out walking the dogs at 5:45 this morning and saw 7 or 8 meteors"

George responded:

"It was the Quadrantid shower which peaked in the early morning today (5 am PST)"

Phil added:

"I was out at 6:00 a.m. ... During the 5 minute walk, I saw 7 meteors"

Hello All,

See also S & T, Jan 2009, pp. 71-72 (excerpt): The Peekaboo Quadrantids

The Quad shower is elusive because it's brief. At its peak it can produce
120 or more meteors visible per hour ..., but the peak lasts just a few
hours at most.

This year the peak is ... ideal for western North America, where the time is 5 a.m.
PST before the first light of dawn.

Best wishes,

Bernd