[meteorite-list] AD> Encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com website for sale >>>

From: matt <metlist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 19:37:49 +0000

This is sad news, Pierre has done an amazing job with the
encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com site. I consider it the single most useful
meteorite site on the net (just my personal opinion, no offense to others. David
Weir's site is certainly up there too).

It seemed a labour of love for Pierre, and although he sold advertising this was
always restrained and never excessive. He clearly has the right to sell the
site, and I hope he gets a fair price for the considerable (and most likely
thankless) efforts he has made. That said, I'm concerned that the auction may
only interest people with commercial motives. The more they spend, the more they
may feel the need to recoup, which could be highly detrimental to the site in
general.

A second concern would be the purchaser getting access to a great deal of
information regarding other peoples collections and the email addresses of 1100
collectors. I wonder how many people have listed a lot of their collection on
the site? Although they may have pieces set to invisible to the public, the site
owner (and anybody else with database access) can see them. I recall spaces for
the dealer that a stone was purchased from, dates and prices. I always limited
the info I placed on the site regarding my own collection anyway, but I'll be
removing what I have entered in the database before it's sold. I can think of
several ways access to this information may be abused, I trusted Pierre, I
wouldn't necessarily be as trusting of the new owner (again, I'm not suggesting
anybody in our community would abuse this position, just that the possibility
exists).

Hopefully the site will be bought by somebody with exactly the same
philanthropic approach as Pierre demonstrated during his years of hard work on
the site. A HUGE thank-you to Pierre for his work to date, and I'll be keeping
my fingers crossed for the site's future...

Matt.