[meteorite-list] FOR THE RECORD

From: RJP <yellowengine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:34:27 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

If I were one of you hunters down there in West, TX (..I wish), I would take my total travel costs, lost wages, ect.. not even including hours spent head down, scanning the ground... and divide that by the total weight of the loot brought back home. Personally, I wouldn't feel it would be worth it to sell for anything less than the $$$ per gram calculated using that particular equation. Purchasing additional stones directly from a landowner throws in yet another variable, but you get my general idea.
For me, half the fun (or more) would be in finding them.. so I cannot see spending ~$100 per gram on something that was just sent to me through the mail (not nearly as enjoyable). However, I do believe they should be (..and are) worth at least the amount of time and expense it took to locate them by the finder.
I wasn't there to participate, so I really don't feel like anyone should have to offer anything to me, nor do I feel the urge to spend a large chunk of cash on something that has all of the fun already taken out of it. Not to say that I wouldn't bite at a reasonable offering, but I would totally understand if everyone decided to keep what they found. These stones will have more meaning to those who found them.

All the best,

Ryan