[meteorite-list] FOR THE RECORD

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:27:44 -0500

CONFLICTING AGENDAS

Last night I received a phone call from an understandably distressed
Mike Farmer. Mike was bugged by the media coverage of the announced
sale of "WEST" meteorites at Heritage Auction Galleries---which
included a hoped-for figure of what a larger specimen could bring.

Mike indicated that landowners had become squirrelly in recent days
and the advent of this announcement would result in his inability to
gain access to private property for continued hunting. Mike wondered
aloud why Heritage felt they had to make this announcement months
prior to a sale in which these consignments would appear.

Mike was not the only one with such concerns.

For the record, I was also exasperated by the decision to announce
this offering at this time and I strenuously objected to the same. It
was too early and could undermine a bigger story in closer proximity
to the sale where it would certainly have greater impact. It appeared
the publicist's primary objective was not what was best for the sale
of the meteorites but rather how to maximize a corporate branding
opportunity. My objections did not fall entirely on deaf ears. I
convinced David Herskowitz of Heritage to hold-off until next week
when I could at least provide a picture of the larger specimen.

Late yesterday afternoon David reported that his publicist said the
story could not be contained and was now on the AP wire.